Sunday, November 12, 2006

Where it all started!!!


Last night I sat alone, very alone. I watched "Life is Beautiful" (which is a great movie by the way) all cozied up on the couch while eating some freshly boiled pasta topped with Ragu-Robusto sauce, all by myself. At times in my life this would have disturbed me greatly, but last night it felt right. In fact it felt great. This is a strange phenomenon that has recently started. It probably has something to do with my being engaged. Actually, it probably has everything to do with my being engaged. It just feels like without her I really can't do anything worthwhile no matter who I am with, or what I am doing. I know that studying is good and beneficiary, but it is nothing like just being with Kristen. This is probably nothing new to most of you but to me it is groundbreaking. I mean, I would rather sit alone in a dark basement watching a movie than to go and have a night on the town, just so I can call and talk to her without being disturbed. I admit that this does hinder the old social life, but there wasn't really much to hinder in the first place that didn't involve her already. I guess it just feels opposite of what a young, dashing 21 year old young man like myself:) is suppose to be doing on Saturday nights and yet I wouldn't have it any other way. That is a comforting feeling to me in so many ways because it confirms to me that I made an excellent chioce and serves as a constant reminder that I'm living for more than just me now.

It also signifies the ending of a period of my life, a period of little responsibility and late night sleep overs with the buds. A period of paintball fights and James Bond 007 Nintendo 64 tournaments, which I consistantly dominated. A period of water drinking contests and TPing topped with a few door bell ditching runs. A period of dating, trying to impress, and DTRs. A period of singles wards and ward prayers. I guess the end of real childhood, adolescence, and singlehood. I will admit there is a part of me that is sad to see it go, but most of me has been waiting, even longing to see its demise. I don't really get any enjoyment out of that stuff anymore. Instead I find real staisfaction in planning our future, setting priorities, or doing some meaningful work for her (like making and addressing 250 wedding announcments). In short, I am getting old.

And that is what prompted me to write this blog. The start of my aging!! The end of Little Guzy Guy, and the beginning of Goose Man. It all started about 5 years ago now when I asked Kristen to go to Homecoming with me. From there we progress to the night I told her that I didn't want to date her anymore because I was going on a mission. As we move down the timeline we reach her baptism, and then conversion. My mission call and her church callings. A few letters later and I was home, and she was available. It didn't take me long to realize she was the one, and I didn't waste anytime popping the question. All of these experiences kind of kicked the child out of me, and although there is still plenty there, I feel like a man ready to take on some serious responsibility...for two. Kristen and I were talking about this just last night, after "Life is Beautiful" had finished and my pasta bowl had been emptied, about the differences between us then, and us now. Also about how our relationship, which began from fairly superficial beginnings and has now become deep and meaningful. I guess that where it all started, is now where those days have finally ended. But with that ending there is coming a whole new beginning. One in which I will never have to worry about being alone on a Saturday night again. At least I hope so!!!!!

9 comments:

Kristen said...

This is all so true on my side as well. Many people here in Greeley are annoyed with me most of the time due to my lack of desire to "hang out." Now-a-days I am a stranger to most, but that is okay with me. I will miss my girls, but I CAN'T wait until I can just be with you. I love you!!

Tankfos said...

You think you understand what being single life is like? Please. I am happy for you and am very excited to have Kristen be an official part of the fam.

Ad

Mark said...

Goose,

What a sweet posting! I didn't know you had it in you. If I was any less of a man, it might have made me cry.

When you can marry your best friend, you are truly a lucky man. I count myself very blessed in that regard. Nothing like cuddling up with your honey on the couch on Saturday night and watching "Pride and Prejudice," which we did last night.

You are a lucky man in another way as well. If you were not marrying Kristen, then the whole family had decided that we would disown you and adopt Kristen. We like her much better and she's not nearly as annoying as you. So lucky for you, you get to start your own family and still keep your old one. :)

Dad said...

Goose and Kristen,
Stop it with the smultzy stuff would ya? You got me bawling here and you know how I get going.

Goose, are you sure you posted that on your blog. It didn't sound like you. It was poetic in nature, even melodic in tone. I felt a certain humility n you that is very, very becoming of a man. I want to know who posted that as you had to get help to write such a beautiful musing on becoming a man.

I would agree that you indeed are taking you life to the next level. And just like all other levels as you mature, this is the best one yet. You and Kristen were made for each other in so many way. I have to agree with Mark, that we were going to throw you under the bus if you and Kristen hadn't gotten this far. You were a week away from being written out of the will and Kristen replacing you for the huge fortune that will be our estate when we pass on. You're timing was impeccable.

Kristen has been part of our family for quite awhile and so not much is going to change in that regard, except now she will no longer get to go first when we have dinner and you and she may, on occasion, graduate to the big table.

We love you both so much and I hope you both feel that this new step will only enrich your own lives in so many ways, but also expand our family relations and love even more as we all get to share you two in the family.

Kristen will just have to learn who to back in all the arguments we will have. (Haven't got Dana to do that yet, but she is coming around)

Love you guys more than I can express.

Love,
Dad

Wendi said...

Ah, FINALLY -- the Goose is loose on the blogosphere!

I'm so glad to learn that you too have thrown your hat into the circle, and am delighted to see that you also posess the clan Foster fine turn of phrase (amongst your well-documented computer game, athletics and ping-pong talents). So our Drew's a writer too, who woulda thunkit? I guess that's what I get for not writing you more while you were away on your mission, huh? :-S

I'm very happy for Kristen and yourself...the wedding invites look great, especially with your smiling faces all over them. Can't wait for the big day -- welcome to the (official) fun, Kristen!

Danalin said...

Goose,

I wasn't sure before I met you that you were going to be good enough for Kristen. I seemed to hear many stories about your annoying nature (which, now that I have met you I can't say that I agree with)...but after your homecoming talk in Church, I got to see just how amazing of a man you are. I've felt like Kristen was a sister of sorts and I am thrilled that title will now be official!

Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of marriage! Well, in 47 days. I can't tell you how great it is; you'll see for yourself soon enough! I think you're a fabulous man, Goose.

Tyler said...

Goose,

Great post!

Throughout my years of searching for a mate, I got discouraged often and had kind of resolved that if I wanted to ever get married, I would have to almost force myself to feel the way I wanted to feel about someone. I would have to ignore the uneasiness I seemed to always feel when the prospect of a progressing relationship emerged if I wanted to ever get anywhere.

I was way wrong!

When I met Dana and we had known each other just a few weeks (it felt like months and months) it was the easiest and most obvious decision I had ever made to marry her. How easy is it to respond to this question: Would you like a million dollars? Thats how easy it was. It just felt (and still feels) so right. She is my best friend and an easy friend...

One comment: To echo Adam's comment, please don't insult me by suggesting that you have experienced or understand singledom.

For that matter, as far as Adam is concerned, he's beginning to understand, but he's got a long way to go...a long way to go...

Kristen said...

We look great in white, would you agree?

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.