Sunday, May 03, 2009

Graduation and Qualifying

It has been a busy couple of weeks for us, but in a good kind of way. Last week was graduation and that means that our time in Provo is coming to a close. I am now offically an alumi and can say that I have a degree. It was a great week with both my parents and Kristen's parents coming out to Provo and supporting us. It was great having you guys here, thank you so much. I was only able to go to the very large ceremony where President Uchtdorf and Elder Nelson spoke because my race was during the Health and Human Performance (my college) ceremony. It is really too bad that I didn't get to wait for 3 hours to walk across a stage with 700 other Exercise Science graduates. (Do I sound a little relieved?) I know that everyone here was very disapointed that we had to go to a track meet instead, especially my dad!!!
Anyway, here are a few pictures of the great day.


The proud parents

The Proud in-laws

The proud wife

Just jumping for joy

My new T-shirt. I got it for free. See how nice BYU takes care of its graduates.

On a seperate note, this week I finally qualified for regionals in the 800 meter run. It has been a long time coming. Last year I missed it by .08 seconds and earlier this year I missed it by .16 seconds. But two days ago I finally ran a 1:50.8, which converts to a 1:50.3. The qualifying mark is 1:50.4 so I barely slipped under. That means that I will be running in the regional meet in Eugene, Oregon at the end of May. If I finish in the top 5 there, then I will go to nationals two weeks after that. Although the picture below was not taken after I qualified it is the only picture I got. We recorded the race but I can't transfer it to our computer because we lack the cable, but one day I will show it.

Natasha (Keith's girlfriend), Keith (a teammate), Kristen, Me

The shades that I am wearing I got for 8 bucks at a 7-11. Not bad huh. I also need to mention one more thing. For 3 years now, my teammates have been making fun of me because I don't shave my legs. They say that is the reason that I get so close to getting to regionals. So the night before my last race I shaved it all off. That is right, I have legs smoother then a babies bottom. And guess what, I got a regional mark that first race I ran with shaved legs. Is it a coincidence? That's for you to decide.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

The weekend was a success. You are now onto your doctorate degree!

I am so proud of you for qualifying for regionals. It seemed so emotional. It looked like one of the happiest moments of your life. I am so glad I got to see it. You rocked it! It must have been the shaved legs!

Tankfos said...

My wife shaves her legs too.

Dad said...

Goose,
We are so happy you did it man. Your mother and I really love to see you run and I guess you are figuring out how to run this race after all this time. That is great. Just remember my old adage......:"The lead dog gets the fresh air!!" I hope we can see you at least one more time before it is all over. (Laramie?)

About the shaved legs. Son, I don't think you should necessarily be broadcasting that information. It falls into the category of too much information. No man should have legs smoother than his wife's!! I remember when you made fun of such nonsense. You are telling me that the hair on your leg creates enough wind resistance to slow you down. I can hardly believe I just said that. You qualified because you ran the race you needed to run and it had nothing to do with your smooth as a baby's behind legs. Trust me. The only way I will beleive that is if Ty does his magic with some complicated formulas that prove your theory. I await such evidence.

We loved being with you guys for the weekend of your graduation. We are proud of you and it is both an end to an era and the beginning of the next phase of your life. I am quite certain that most Dentists do not shave their legs so you need to stop that right now!!

Love,
Dad

Milmonster said...

Gongrates Drew! And no, I don't think shaving your legs was a coincidence. Wierd maybe...but not a coincidence:)

Matthew said...

Congratulations Guzy! You did it at an age 12 years younger than myself. So either you're really smart or I'm just lazy and/or stupid.